Due to the predictions on this site that were correct, the following are true:
- Wings (1928), Grand Hotel (1930), and Driving Miss Daisy (1989) are the only three films before Argo to win Best Picture without being nominated for Best Director.
- This is the first time that the subject matter of back-to-back Best Picture winners was making a movie, thanks to The Artist and Argo. As a matter of fact, these might be the only two such films, depending on the definition.
- Interestingly, the last director to win without winning Best Picture was Ang Lee, for Brokeback Mountain (2005). The last director to win without winning any of the major categories was Steven Spielberg, for Saving Private Ryan (1998).
- Silver Linings Playbook is the first film since Reds (1981) to be nominated in all four acting categories, and 14th overall. The only other two to win only for Best Actress were Jane Wyman (Johnny Belinda, 1948) and Katharine Hepburn (Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, 1967). Other than Johnny Belinda, the only other two Big Five nominees to only have a lead actress win were Vivien Leigh (A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951) and Elizabeth Taylor (Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, 1966).
- All of the Best Supporting Actor nominees are previous Oscar winners. This has never happened before. This is the first nomination for every nominee for Best Original Song.
- Amour is the first foreign language film to be nominated for Best Picture since Letters from Iwo Jima (2006). Austria has had three previous nominees, with The Counterfeiters (2007) being the only win besides Amour.
- The last movie before Les Miserables to win Best Sound Mixing without being nominated for Best Sound Editing was also a musical, Dreamgirls (2006).
- This year doubled the number of Oscars that belong to 007. Goldfinger (Sound Effects, 1964) and Thunderball (Visual Effects, 1965) are the only other honors received by the franchise.
Discover any other interesting facts about the 85th Academy Awards? Please feel free to comment below.
Or, check out the 2011 Trivia!